The cathedral's organ was built in 1902 by the Austin Organ Company of Hartford, Conn., from specifications drawn up by the church's organist, Julius Bierck. Extensive tonal alterations were made in 1978 by Brantley Duddy. In 2002, in conjunction with the reordering of the cathedral, Robert Benston Pipe Organs did restoration work on the organ, added digital stops by Walker Technical Company (including a gallery organ), and rebuilt the console, moving it to the west gallery. In 2004, a two manual wireless console was installed on the floor of the nave: it plays the organ by operating the main consoles combination action remotely.
A record of the organ's history, including the specification of the instrument as originally built in 1902, is available at this at the Organ Historical Society Database.